It is difficult to put a price tag on peace of mind. This is much of what fuels the value of having a warranty of any kind and this, of course, includes cars. Warranties stand out as a practice, easy and effective way to guard against something going wrong with any type of product. Where cars are concerned, a warranty makes tremendous sense.
Cars are Complex, But a Warranty Can Protect You
Cars are quite complex in that they have numerous parts. When there are more parts in a machine these parts receive wear and tear, it is more likely that something can and will go wrong. No matter how high quality a car may be and how good of a job you do taking care of it, something still can go wrong. However, when you purchase a warranty, you gain serious peace of mind.
In general, if you buy a new car, you will find that there are three main types of warranties: 1 year, 3 year and extended 5-year warranties. However, recently, some manufacturers have begun offering 10-year warranties. If you plan to buy a used car, is also possible to buy an extended warranty or used car warranty from a dealership.
Here is an overview of some of the different types of car warranties:
- Basic Manufacturer Warranty: With this type of warranty, repairs are covered for a specific time period or amount of miles. This will cover factory parts that could malfunction due to defects.
- Powertrain Warranty: This warranty will protect you after the basic warranty has ended. However, it is important to note that it doesn't cover everything- usually only the engine and transmission.
- Corrosion Warranty: This type of warranty protects the surface of your car mostly from rust. It won't cover accidental damage like scratches.
- Emission Warranty: This type of warranty will cover emission issues that you might experience.
- Dealership Warranty: This is a warranty that you would get from a dealer. You will usually have to go to this same dealer to get your car repaired.
- Extended warranty: The extended warranty (or aftermarket warranty) will cover your car for a designated amount of time after the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty.
Without a warranty, you are putting yourself and your finances in a good deal of potential peril. Whether you are extending your warranty on a new car or a used car, you will not regret making this decision.
A Car Warranty is Smart Financial Planning
A warranty is nothing short of savvy financial planning, as it safeguards you from having to worry about sudden and very unexpected expenses. For example, have you seen the price tag on replacing the typical transmission or, on the more extreme end, for replacing an engine? The price tag is steep, but if you have a warranty that covers power train, for example, this is an issue that you won't have to worry about.
Having a Car Warranty is a Good Move!
Whether your car warranty covers power train or not, having some kind of warranty is extremely valuable. Once again, motor vehicles are very complex, and a multitude of potential problems exist. Many experts feel that driving without a warranty is something that just doesn't make sense. Some would also suggest looking into an extended warranty to be safe.